question

Andreas Jaunsen avatar image
Andreas Jaunsen asked

Redesigning onboard electrical panel for Quattro 24/5000

I have upgraded some of the 20-year old onboard electrical components of my Swan 56, replacing the main (service) battery bank with 2x Victron 24v Li-ion HE battery packs + BMS 400A and now a Quattro 24/5000/120 to replace the original charger and inverters (see enclosed original AC diagram). I would like to take full advantage of the Quattro by enabling both generator and shore power inlets to the charger. However, it appears to be somewhat complicated to integrate this to the onboard electrical panel which consists of a number of contactors, an isolation transformer, shore inlets for 230v, 115v and an additional 230v for aircondition unit. The generator is also feeding the aircond. This is detailed in the enclosed diagram. The boat has a 24v 2-pole DC system.

My challenge is to find an elegant way to integrate the Quattro features without redesigning the entire electrical panel. Hoping to find someone interested here to provide advice / suggestions.

img-0217.jpg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
img-0217.jpg (3.0 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ajaunsen

Nice yacht. I'm not going to redesign your panel for you, but just general comments..

(It's really hard to follow a full size drawing like that too when zooming in and chasing wires as well)

The 'elegance' you seek is largely within the Quattro (good choice). The beauty of it is that you can run all your 230 ac supply through it (up to 100A), and all your ac loads out of it, despite it's 5kVA inverting limit. One of the ac outlets can be used for 'special' loads, and programmed as you desire. So you don't actually have to bypass it with any ac.

Much of your switching/contactors may become redundant, as they shouldn't be needed. Just hook the ac-out wires (2 of) to your existing breakers and you're done. Charging similar, it just happens with the excess current.

What I do think you'll miss is a GX box, to get the full Victron experience, especially with the web connected. Also maybe to interface with compatible glass-bridge kit.

I note too you have a shunt setup of some type in there, but a BMV/Smartshunt monitor is a great addition. If no web, a backup MK3/usb dongle for emergency Quattro settings.

There's a bit of a learning curve to set it all up, but it's not beyond most. Enough for now..

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Andreas Jaunsen avatar image Andreas Jaunsen commented ·

Thanks @JohnC for this comment!

Indeed, I do have a Venus GX and a BMV shunt connected to a (different) radio/nav battery bank + a MPPT for 2 solar panels. I have also considered adding a Victron shunt to replace the original one and do carry a MK3/USB interface :)

screenshot-2020-12-16-at-140452.png

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Andreas Jaunsen commented ·

Ha, you have me preaching to the converted. I like this screen..

1608125673261.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1608125673261.png (224.1 KiB)