question

wirehead70 avatar image
wirehead70 asked

Battery Over Voltage Last 2 Days on Blue Solar MPPT 100/50 with 2 12 volt batteries at 200ah What could be wrong

screenshot-2.pngscreenshot.jpgscreenshot-1.png

overvoltage
screenshot-1.png (177.8 KiB)
screenshot.jpg (285.6 KiB)
screenshot-2.png (320.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

Just quickly scanning, I notice recommended amperage is 30A or less, and you’re set for 50A. I’m not sure if that can cause an over voltage situation, though.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

He has 2x batteries..

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @wirehead70

Look to your Temperature Compensation. It seems quite cold there, so the set V's will rise.

Also, your TC setting is very high (chopped in your screenshot), much higher than I'm prepared to use. Where did you get that from?

If your temp reading is properly networked, an adjustment there should be pretty much real-time, else you may have to wait for tomorrow's startup.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@wirehead70

Typically, -3mV per cell per degC, so -1.67mV per degF. For a 6 cell string, then -10 mV/degF. Don't forget the minus sign.

I've seen some batts where that 3mV is 4 or even 5, so a bit mushy. I use ~4, over 24 cells, so a round -100mV with flooded batts.

So take your choice, but I think what you have now is too high. You could also reduce your Absorb setpoint a little if you want, as some batt makers give a range, as they assume most users don't have temp comp. And then don't tell you why there's a range..

3 comments
2 |3000

wirehead70 avatar image wirehead70 commented ·

That look more like what It should be screenshot-11.png

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-11.png (19.4 KiB)
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ wirehead70 commented ·

@wirehead70

Yeh, that should do. If you're worried, you could pull down one of the Victron Pb battery presets to check. Should show -9mV(F) as default, but -10 is close enough.

BTW, you can create and name a preset of your own, so you won't lose it if you switch about..

0 Likes 0 ·
wirehead70 avatar image wirehead70 JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thanks JohnC I dropped it down to -9 and set the amps back to 30 we will see what the next sunny day holds. Freezing rain for today

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic