question

csheldon avatar image
csheldon asked

Marine Euro 230v to US 120v - isolation + autotranformer or just isolation tranformer

I've read through the portal and have downloaded the PDFs... I can't find a straight answer to the question of if the isolation transformer will convert euro 230v power to us 120v.

On shore power, I'm looking to be able to hook up world-wide (assuming 50/60hz is a non-issue).... or do I want an isolation transformer that feeds an autotransformer?

I'm on a 120v boat with two 5-30s. I'm trying to avoid AC-DC-AC so that I don't have to limit AC usage when connected to shore power.

So, I'm thinking two isolation transformers, one per power inlet... and feed that into a pair of MultiPlus 12/3000/120...

...or do I need the Autotransformer to do the euro 230v to us 120v conversion.

AutotransformerIsolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
csheldon avatar image
csheldon answered ·

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/56440/isolation-transformer-andor-auto-transformer.html

This article comes close to answering the question by saying that the output winding would always be 120v.... Can the input winding on the isolation transformer pull either 120v or 230v?

The 3600W 115/230V Isolation Transformer seems to be able to accomplish this...

If this is the answer, I guess I'm confused by all the (boat) people on this forum asking the same world shore power question and being told to go with AC-DC-AC (and it's accompanying limitations).

What am I missing?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources