question

griffo1962 avatar image
griffo1962 asked

Buck Boost charger

I am about to install the above device in my motorhome. What I want to confirm is whether the vehicle battery will also be charged via my PV once the "house" batteries are charged?? Or does it only work the other way and charge the house batteries from the alternator?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @griffo1962, welcome to the Community!

The Buck Boost is unidirectional in operation, and does not connect to your solar array in any way. Typically, the Buck-Boost is connected between two battery banks, such as a start battery and the house batteries, as a less-than-ideal DC-DC charger; likewise, your solar charge controller is connected to one of your battery banks - presumably your house battery.

In this case, if you're planning to connect in the above fashion, the Buck-Boost will charge your house battery from your start battery while the engine is running, and the solar charge controller will charge your house battery anytime the sun is out; your start battery, however, will only be charging from the alternator, as is normal.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.