question

Cliff avatar image
Cliff asked

solar configuration

Hi, we are thinking of putting solar on our boat. The system we require is not as complicated. We Have battery storage capacity of AGM 1000Ah and use approx 1/3 or 30% of that storage over a 12 hour period. We run the genset for 3 hours in the morning and then again in the evening. We have room for 4 maybe 6 x 360Watt panels. 4x360W 1400W My thoughts are and your recommendations are essential. We need to generate approx 90Ah per hour for 8 hours to recharge our batteries from the night consumption while still generating our hourly usage. I think that is 1080 watts per hour? Now do we use mono Perc p-type panels in series which will give us greater voltage therefore better in low light eg morning and evening? Or do we have them in parallel that gives us greater current? Also do we put a small regulator on each panel so the panels are independent if a shadow from the radar tower falls across one. What percentage of the panels in shadow will effect the performance of the panels connected to each other? Or do we put say two MPPT controllers in, one for the panels that may get a shadow and one for the other panels? I look forward to discussion.

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Two many variables here to answer your questions,

the best you can do is put as MUCH solar as you can up, so go for the highest output panels for the area you have . then make sure the Regulator you buy can take the OCV of all the panels in series.

then yes shade will affect the output. but yours changes with the wind tide and sun angles all over the day.

So you have to then average whats collected over a month the change the panels config to say half in series and the other half in series then parallel the 2 strings and test for another month then compare output and see what best suits you situation.

you could even try them all in parallel as well.

but in reality its going to be the best config by a average months output.

for me I would just put them all in series and if the result is colse to what you want leave it

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Cliff avatar image
Cliff answered ·

Thank you Paul B.

I am going down the track of putting only 4 panels on first as they wont get any shadows. Do you suggest series or parallel?

Cheers and thanks Cliff

1 comment
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

if no shadows then series would be my option

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic