question

mikeb avatar image
mikeb asked

Ve.bus error 17 on BYD

Hi

Have 2 in parallel 48v 10kva single phase installed quattros using the byd b box 2.56kwh

They were pre setup and working fine before installation on site for about a month

We’re installed on site on the 27th of December all working fine up until the 31st of December when they ve bus errored 17

The inverters were turned off and back on again and then working for a couple of days fine then when error 17 again

All cabling and connects checked and sound

Seems strange they can work for a few days with out issues and then error ?

And they were

VE.BusBYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

16 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, please check the VE.Bus error codes documentation.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:ve.bus_error_codes

And make sure all firmware is up to date.

If those two things don’t help, follow official support procedures; as on our website.

I hope its sorted soon! Matthijs

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mikeb avatar image mikeb commented ·

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Have the most up to date firmware

And checked and tested all plugs and connections and cables

It goes in to error after a day or so

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi just a note on this issue

Is it likely to be the master that’s suspect with this error code ?

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mikeb commented ·

Hi, it can be either the master or the slave; hard to tell I’m afraid. Try looking at the LEDs (or make a movie) of both units when showing this error.

Slave will indicate vebus error 17 I’m sure; so especially the master.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image mikeb mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for the reply

I assume the last message said suspect the master as being the fault?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mikeb commented ·

No: especially look at the leds of the master

0 Likes 0 ·

The thing is I would expect the issue to arise quite quickly like after a a few minutes eg 10-20mins if there was a issue with connections. Not after 3 days the first time it went in to error or 36hrs the second time it went in to error

Regards mike

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi the firmware I have running on the 2 Quattros is 431 which was loaded and updated in November is there a way of knowing if the firmware 432 and 433 was to fix a issue that I am experiencing with the error 17?

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi, I don't think so. But if you've nothing else to check or try; make sure to update them.

And otherwise; please contact your dealer or distributor.

Note that I see what you're saying about not expecting the issue to arise only after a few days in case its an issue with connections. But still it could happen.

I see many of our hard-to-solve-support requests; and I have zero indications that there could be some software bug or other problem. Which leaves only hardware and cabling.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Just a up date on this situation

I was able to reproduce what caused the error 17 to arise.

On both time that ve bus error 17 before it was when every thing in the installation was switched off other then the internet router with minimal load. When I now did the same, it went in to error 17 within 10mins

But everything works fine with loads and generator changing etc etc

Is there something in the ve configure relating to AES or search mode that needs to be set?

Regards

Mike

3 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Mike, I reworded your message slightly, can you check that its still accurate?

What model inverter/chargers are these and and do you have their serial numbers available?

Then, I’ll take this to R&D; and come back to you.

0 Likes 0 ·

Is it easier to give you access to the vrm?

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks for the reply

The models are the 48vdc 10kva Quattro

Serial numbers I will have to dig out But where purchased in November of 2018

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Have you tried inverting the master and the slave units

2 |3000

mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Hi

Think i need to clarify this running 2 48v 10kva Quattro’s in parrellel with byd b box pro in a off grid install.

AES and search mode WASN’T turned on or active when in the ve bus error 17 would arise.

It’s just gone in to error everytime it has little or not load

For example on every occasion it has errored it has had only a internet route on the inverters running

And when I simulated this it went in to error 17 within 10 mins

Even after a day of having a 1100watt water pump jet washer power tool batterys etc etc running on it with no problems at all

The one thing I did do after it went in to error after 10 mins is turn the AES on and selected search mode and had no problem for over 12 hours

The installation had been left with the AES off no search mode but a 120watt bar Heater and internet router on it and see what happens

Regards

Mike

3 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

wait a minute...you have a 20kVA system running on a 2,5 kWh battery?

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image mikeb boekel ♦ commented ·

Of course not

12 2.56kwh byds

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ mikeb commented ·

Ahh ok that wasn't in the information given.

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Hi all

Just a update on the installation and the situation with the error 17 ve bus

On leaving the installation on Sunday mid day and a 125watt tube heater running on the inverters the error hasn’t occurred

Which on previous occasions after this length of time the error 17 ve bus would have appeared. With only the internet route drawing ac load off the inverters

The conclusion I have come to at the moment and have my fingers crossed the error doesn’t occur again is that the quattros or maybe the master with minuimal/ next to nothing load wise the internet router was drawing sort of sent in in to a standby/sleep mode (even with the AES mode disabled)

Hope this may be of some help

Regards

Mike

2 |3000

jacko avatar image
jacko answered ·

Ive just had the same error on one of my systems, very similar set up too, 2x 15kW quttros in parralell and BYD pro batteries was running fine and then just turned off for no reason last night with VE bus error 17 there was no strange behaviour to trigger it voltages where all good, battery temperature was fine at 20 degrees and around 70% full, there was a drop in load from 4kW to 1kW in the 15 minutes before the fail but thats nothing on what they are capable of doing, firmware on the quttros is 430 so will go to site and update them today. This is the second time the system has failed this week last time it was VE bus error 5 overvoltage on AC output which was very strange as the quattros output went from normal 230v upto around 270volts but stayed around there for 9 minutes before hitting 278 volts and failing, this was strange as the quttros had plenty of time to bring there voltage down but failed to do so, in this case there was 4kW of ac coulpled solar coming in from the fronius inverters and the genreator was off. Has it happened on yours again since Mike?

2 |3000

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

So the common factor here seems to be Parallel Multi's and BYD batteries..

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, Error 17 is 99% of the time always pinned down to faulty cables or broken units.

Please replace the cables (if not already done); update firmware to latest (if not already done); if that doesn't help please follow the official route: ask the distributor to help which might lead to replacing the units.

@Boekel yes BYD + parallel multis seems the common factor I agree; but I don't see any relation.

2 |3000

mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Had no issues at all with the installation

Have had it running now for the longest period of time with out any error 17 message 7days plus

There are two things that are different from when I had it error

One the internet router AC to dc adaptor isn’t powered by the Quattro it’s powered direct from the byd’s now via a Orion dc to dc converter

And two there is a load on the inverter now all the time in the form of a 125watt green house heater

I personally think it was connected to the router

Have had some information given regarding AC-dc adaptors suggesting that the power correction and the regulation regarding the quality of them isn’t governored unlike ones above 70watts that have to comply with eu directives. The thinking is may be some harrmoic noise generated by these adaptor and causing the communication issue between the master and slave

Since this adapter for the internet route has been removed have had no problem. small load or the adaptor not being used ??????

2 |3000

mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Just like to add too

No cables changed no firmware change to fix the issue

Never had any doubt about the cables from the start

Just trying to give you as much information that I have experienced with the issue and what I believe had fixed it

Tegards

Mike

2 |3000

jacko avatar image
jacko answered ·

Hi @mikeb is yours still going well? Mines just gone again on error 17, 2 days since the last time, Ive updated firmware of both quattros and changed which of the units is the master at the same time, i think your thought of noise from the router power supply interupting communication seems like a good idea im considering taking mine offline even though i dont really want to to see if this has any effect. Sounds like theres at least four other victron/byd installs suffering from this issue though

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi yes mines fine

Been running the longest now with no errors what so ever 99% sure it’s all fixed

0 Likes 0 ·

One of 2 things has fixed it the small load constantly on the inverter or the fact that I have taken the internet router ac to dc adaptor our of the system

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I am watching this thread with interest, I am sympathising with you both, and grateful that you are approaching this with a solutions oriented attitude.

I hope that you can both resolve this to reliable systems and we can learn something and either make a change to improve this for all users or at least have another troubleshooting step that might help them in the future.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi guy

Can say my system is all working fine and has been now for getting on 14 days

0 Likes 0 ·
mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Just a update On the system

All running fine

4 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi @mikeb

You've been writing (the same) messages in other topics, but not in your own.

Can you help us help you solve the problem?
Can you provide VRM data of when the problem occurred?

0 Likes 0 ·

There is nothing in the vrm detail AC output wise or dc wise

Just randomly errors

Posting this for beokel information

Regards

Mike

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ mikeb commented ·

Ok nothing exciting there, can you maybe download + post a .xls file?

0 Likes 0 ·

Nothing on a full detailed download

It’s working then it’s now lol

Hoping a change of two new inverters does the trick

Still think there is something getting in to the system in the way of interference tracking back up through the AC of the inverter then internally causing a corruption of the transmission signal

0 Likes 0 ·
jacko avatar image
jacko answered ·

Happy to say ive been problem free for 8 days now too, i actually changed the ethernet cable after realising it was shielded, the colour control manual does state you shouldnt use a shielded cable for ethernet as its not isolated but that it wouldnt be a problem in 99% of installations i guess this configuration represents the 1%. I hope this is all it was for the other guy that was having the same issues on the other thread

2 |3000

mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

I spoke to soon

Saw today it went in to ve bus error 17 after running fine for well over 2 weeks

Was able to turn the inverter on and off via the remote console on the vrm

2 |3000

wesley-corbet avatar image
wesley-corbet answered ·

Hi All,

I too have experienced the frustrating random Error 17.

To date, I believe I have it sorted (touch wood) and thought it was worth a mention.

System:

On-grid

3 x Multiplus 3KVA, single phase in parallel, 1 master and 2 slaves

8 x BYD 2.5KWh modules with CAN BMS

CCGX

1 x Victron 250/100 MPPT Charger

I found I did not have DVCC enabled on the CCGX and I also missed the correct settings for the dynamic cut-off values, all on 47Volts. I made both these changes at the same time so cannot say if it was one or the other or both, but happy days for now.

ESS Parameter Settings
Sustain voltage. 50V
Dynamic cut-off values set all values to 47V.
Restart offset: 1.2 V (Default)

5. Venus-device Configuration

On the Venus-device, go to Settings, System setup:

Venus Settings → System Setup Parameter Value
DVCC ON
Shared Voltage Sense OFF

Best regards,

Wes Corbet

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BYD battery compatibility guide