question

covetingdolphin avatar image
covetingdolphin asked

How to schedule ESS charging from excess PV

Hi there,

Presently I have a 48v 400AH lifepo4 bank, batrium BMS connected to a Multi 2 5000 GX with the 100A CT on my house mains. For charging I have 1600W of solar through a 250/60 Smart Solar, and on AC in I have 11.5KW of DC installed on a SolarEdge SE8000, which is limited to a 5kwh export through the day.

Originally I got quite excited when I saw the ESS menu had a scheduled charger, but from what I've read it only seems to be a forced charge designed to feed the batteries from the grid in the morning.

What I'm wanting to do is configure my system so that it only starts charging from excess AC solar after around 9:30-10AM and continues to charge till around 5PM - that way I can use the full potential of my exported system, and still continue to charge off DC beforehand. I've tried using the scheduler to set it up this way, but it's currently 7:05 and my batteries are being charged by my 8KW system...

Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing, as this would be brilliant!

Thankyou,

Julian

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
thomasw-1 avatar image
thomasw-1 answered ·

Hi Julian,
I fear that the desired functionality cannot be configured.
Any excess power is feeded into batteries as long as battery is not fully charged and battery accepts the provided power level.
The only option I could consider would be, in case battery would signal at that moment not accepting any power. However I think that most batteries would not allow such config.
/Thomas

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

covetingdolphin avatar image covetingdolphin commented ·

Thanks Thomas, I was hoping there'd be a quick fix! I haven't looked too much into it yet, but I will have to see if I can program one of the remote sense inputs to interact with some kind of timer that disables/enables charging

0 Likes 0 ·