question

Brian Kelleher avatar image
Brian Kelleher asked

How Can I connect a VE.Bus smart dongle to a Phoenix multiplus 3000VA

Searched around and cannot find the simple answer. Is it possible and how

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Brian Kelleher

The ve bus smart dongle uses the plug that looks like an ethernet cable port in the Phoenix. If the inverter can be parelleled then it can be connected to with the ve bus smart dongle.

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters/phoenix-inverter-12v-24v-48v-800va-3kva

I am not familiar with the whole phoenix range, so could not find a phoenix multiplus to verify which one you are referring to. But usually the larger models have the comms port you need.

So sorry it's not a simple answer but hope it helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Brian Kelleher answered ·
@Alexandra Thanks for your answer that gives me some hope. Sorry for my ignorance but not sure of ”if it can be paralleled”

I have https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-12v-24v-48v-800va-3kva

It has an Rj45 connection that connects to the Phoenix multi control. Which in turn connects to a shunt and next to a BMV 702.

Is there a interface/apparatus that can split the Rj45 cable leaving the Victron with one going to the Phoenix multi control and the second going to the dongle?

I’ll get there in the end. Thanks again. Brian.

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

If your Multi have only one RJ45 it is definitely to old, because it uses VE.9bit not VE.Bus.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@Brian Kelleher

We are all here to learn, I most certainly am not an expert by any means. Use Matthias method to check what you havewith regards to age and compatibility. If you have a unit in the right range then you would need to upgrade the firmware as suggested, you will need an mk3 for that.

If you have the exact one you have linked then it may work but I don't think you will be able to have the best of both worlds so to speak in regards to connecting both at the same time.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The VE.Bus Smart Dongle needs at least firmware 415

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vebus_smart_dongle_manual

First thing to do is to check the hardware/firmware version of the device.
Remove the front plate, in the upper left is the CPU with a sicker on it. On that sticker is a 7 digit number - XXYYZZZ.HEX
XXYY - identify you hardware version and ZZZ is the factory firmware.
If XX is 19 or lower you have no chance to update the to a 4## firmware and you cannot use the smart dongle.
If XX is 26 or higher and ZZZ lower than 400 you have to update the firmware to the latest (currently 476).

@Alexandra

More than 10 years ago everything was called "Phoenix" Inverter, MultiPlus or charger.
At some point the MultiPlus was called only MultiPlus without the "Phoenix". :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE

Interesting. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Kelleher answered ·

Thanks Alexandra and Matthias, that answers my question.

If anyone wants a free dongle I will send it to you ;)

2 |3000