question

bisquick avatar image
bisquick asked

Victron Multiplus 12/2000 in RV requires a surge protector?

I'm looking at the specs on the Multiplus 12/2000 and am unclear as to whether it has internal protection for both voltage surges and wrong voltage input (too low/high). Can anyone point me to an answer here? I don't want to spend the money on a stand alone protector unless I have to.

Thanks in advance

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
chad-poindexter avatar image
chad-poindexter answered ·

I can't say if it has a "surge protector" in them.... so maybe someone else can chime in. I actually have the 12/3000/120 and before installing it I had a Progressive Industries HW30C installed, which is a step above a surge protector in that it also analyzes the incoming current and will interrupt the current if it isn't right for more reasons than just a surge. When I installed the Multiplus I left it in place. If I hadn't the incoming current would go straight to the Multiplus, but now it will run through my EMS and protect the Multiplus. I guess this could actually cause issues in the case of low power, which would stop the power completely from coming in, but I would still have my batteries to back me up during that time...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Bisquick

The Multi is very sensitive about accepting ac. It will soon open it's transfer switch if it sees something it doesn't like.

There's not much written of this, just discussions on how to relieve it a little of it's propensity to do this. Yes, it's adjustable in several ways.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

I wouldn't be worried about adding additional protection..

1 comment
2 |3000

bisquick avatar image bisquick commented ·

Thanks JohnC,

So it sounds like it has protection against incoming high/low voltage, but how about surges? Safest for sure would be to add additional protection but I‘d like to avoid the additional cost if possible.

0 Likes 0 ·