question

matt-slawson avatar image
matt-slawson asked

Powering Electronics with Victron Controller Questions

Hello all. I'm new to powering using solar. Here is my set up - 100W solar panel, Victron MPPT SmartSolar 75/10 charge controller, 12V 35AH deep cycle battery.

What I'm trying to accomplish is I want to power a cellular modem and IP camera using this set up. Both the modem and IP camera run on 12V.

My question/problem is, how do I accomplish exactly 12V, or very close to it? Do I connect the components straight to the battery? Or out of the load ports on the charge controller?

My concern is that whether I go straight to the battery, or out of the load port, both seem to put out the same voltage, and at times its upwards of 13.5V. That may damage the camera, as it needs 12V.

Is there a way to regulate the voltage coming out of the load ports to exactly 12V? I want the charge controller to charge the battery at a higher voltage (13 to 14), but have the components powered at 12V.

Thank you so much!

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rogerwilco avatar image
rogerwilco answered ·

Can the camera not run directly from the controller? It depends on what the camera and modem input voltage range is I guess, but I run MikroTik routers direct from the MPPT with zero issues.

2 |3000

matt-slawson avatar image
matt-slawson answered ·

I don't think the Hikvision camera has a voltage range. It needs to be 12 volts.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try the voltage regulator from Amazon.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

ttbb avatar image ttbb commented ·

Does not seem like an application where isolation is required. It is also clear the loads are going to be considerably less than 100w. Even the smallest isolated Orion seems like a poor choice to me if you are considering Efficiency.

0 Likes 0 ·