question

freesurfer avatar image
freesurfer asked

Usage of assistants for programmable inputs, outputs, AC Out 2 etc.

I'm trying to learn more about how assistants work and how they can be programmed to do various things without a GX panel (just a plain simple Multiplus II 48/3000). Like taking inputs or giving outputs via the various green terminals, and by controlling when or when not to use AC Out 2.

I have thought of a few scenarios that can be useful which I wonder if can be achieved, and wonder if someone can point me in the right direction:

Usage scenario 1: Switch off all loads, and run only refrigerator in search mode.

I have a solar powered cabin where I turn off all loads when I leave but want to be able to run the fridge in "search mode" when leaving. I am wondering if this can be achieved by connecting just the refrigerator to AC Out 1, and the rest of the cabins loads to AC Out 2, with an external switch to switch between "present mode" (AC out 1 & 2 outputs on, without search mode) or "refrigerator mode" (only AC out 1 enabled, in search mode to save power)

Usage scenario 2: Disconnect unneeded loads like hot water tank during peak usage to prevent overload.

Since the multiplus can take some overload before it shuts down, I'm thinking that it may be possible to shut down some non-essential loads once an overload is detected, to prevent a shutdown. For example if there is a hot water tank connected to AC out 2, and someone powers up a high power load (like a kettle, hairdryer, vacuum etc) on AC out 1, it disconnects the hot water tank from AC out 2 when an overload is detected, then reconnects once the load returns to normal to prevent shutdown due to overloads.

Usage scenario 3: Switch on or off based on input from a charge controller

For example when the batteries are full, or when there is sufficient sunlight to power the inverter "directly" from solar without draining the battery, it could be nice to switch the inverter on to power some "dump loads"

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Freesurfer

You can download a copy of ve config and run it demo or fake target mode and play with the assistants.

There is training available on victron professional as well.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:start

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:overview_of_available_assistants&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiw4Zbj6qXtAhUbVBUIHU2GBSAQFjABegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw30F9BmzNgtFR-cHxA7KPLd

What you are describing is achievable through assistant programming, for each scenario without the GX device, except as far as I know scenario 3. We recommend always having a gx though makes monitoring easier especially remotely even remote programming as well.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.