question

jdmuys avatar image
jdmuys asked

How to connect MPPT with Battery Protect and Battery Monitor?

my battery has a Smart Battery Protect attached to its positive side and a BMV-712 battery monitor shunt attached to its negative side.

where do I connect the battery ports of my solar panel MPPT 100/20? should it connect directly to the battery, ie « inside » the other two devices? Or outside them? Or inside on one side and outside on the other?

in other words:

1- should the positive wire be connected to the positive battery connector or the Smart Battery Protect?

2- should the negative wire be connected to the negative battery connector or to the battery monitor shunt?

thanks

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You should have a second battery protect for the charging side off the battery.

A battery protect unit should only be used to supply power one way. so one is used for loads and the other for charging.

Note the battery monitor stays in the Bat Neg connection as per its orginal instructions.

1606558197452.png

1606558197452.png (176.2 KiB)
1606556826690.png (123.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @jdmuys

Presuming your BP is set up between batt and load...

Mppt BATT+ goes to the batt +, on the battery side of the BP.

Mppt BATT- goes to the LOAD side of the BMV shunt.

2 |3000

jdmuys avatar image
jdmuys answered ·

thank you both. This makes sense to me:

- the charging current must been by the battery monitor

- the battery protect will not let pass the current the ”wrong” way, acting a bit like a diode.

2 |3000