question

erikdane avatar image
erikdane asked

Mounting Question for MPPT - can it be horizontal?

Hello

I am about to install the mppt 75/15 smartsolar charge controller, and the instructions indicate it must be mounted vertically with terminals facing down. Is it not possible to mount the unit horizontally on the base of my battery compartment? I don’t really have much vertical wall space to mount, and wondering how much it matters.
thank you

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @ErikDane

When not mounted vertically, the cooling fins cannot draw air by convection, thus cooling very poorly and it's easy to overheat a unit. if you really need to mount that way you'll need a cooling fan to blow air past the unit, hence it is not advicable.

Also the unit is designed to be installed upright to prevent moisture, dust, and other things falling into the connection area.

1606478746974.png

1606478746974.png (635.1 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

erikdane avatar image erikdane commented ·

thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
sharro avatar image sharro commented ·

battery-box.jpgHave purchased a 75/15 Smart solar and mounted the unit horizontally on a battery box. I mounted the controller on 10mm blocks to allow air to move around it. The manual is for all models 75/10 to 100/20 and does state vertical mount but the 75/15 does not have fins only a flat metal back. If I mounted the unit on a timber back board the metal back plate would be against the back the mounting surface. Totally understand with the units with cooling fins but is it really necessary with the non fin units. I am really happy with the 75/15 and the Victron connect app and it does look nice sitting on top of battery box much better than the cheap PWM controller. I am only using a 160 watt solar panel. Hope I do not melt it; no flashing green light so far. Would be great if the LEDs could be turned off at night with the app because that flashing blue light is a real strobe. Great product and I would not hesitate to buy another. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
battery-box.jpg (68.9 KiB)
Michael Slater avatar image
Michael Slater answered ·

I have mounted my MPPT 150/85 ve.can horizontally but on plinths raising it 40mm from the surface so air can flow through the space underneath so a good clearance when adding the fin depth too. If I hung it vertically the ceiling space in the locker would not allow for a good circulation. Clearly not the time of year for a full on test. It would be interesting to know if others have found work arounds the heat dissipation in horizontal placement.

2 |3000