question

awplourens avatar image
awplourens asked

Single phase ESS in a three-phase system - Values not making sense?

We require some clarity on the following phenomenon:

Single Multiplus-II 5kVA installed on L1 in a 3-phase house. ET340 3-phase meter is utlilised since we wanted to measure consumption on other two phases (L2 & L3) for design of future expansion options.

9.6kWh Pylontech battery bank and 4.02kWp on a SmartSolar 250/70.

See attached screenshots:

1. No input from inverter to show meter reads correctly on L1, L2 and L3no-inverter.png

2. Multiphase regulation set to "Total of all phases"multiphase-regulation-total-of-all-phases.png

3. Multiphase regulation set to "Individual phase"multiphase-regulation-individual-phase.png

What we would like to know is how is it physically possible for L3 to have a negative value regardless of the Multiphase regulation setting when the inverter can only supply L1 with no other equipment on L2 and L3 that can generate power or export?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrisawp avatar image chrisawp commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE, thanks for your answer. Was wondering about that also.

If you say it is a known issue, is there any feedback from Victron's side when they will resolve this known issue?

Also, if you say the issue is visualization only, would the correct setting in this case then be (IF EXPORT IS NOT ALLOWED AT ALL and client running a prepaid meter) to have multiphase regulation on individual phase to regulate L1 only as ESS is only active on L1. The result as in the picture above posted by this user is that L3 shows negative, but if I understand you correctly then that is only a visualization "bug" and actually not flowing negative through the ET340?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
chrisawp avatar image chrisawp chrisawp commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE and @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) - Your thoughts on this please following my question about the *issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think it is the known issue* when using a ET340 in a 3-phase System and a single phase ESS.
For a setup like this you should use a EM24 instead of a ET340.

*this issue is just for the visualization and it doesn't influence the function of the ESS

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @AWPLourens

If there is feed-in on L3, this means that your Multiplus is connected to L3, while it should be connected to L1

(or the energy meter is wired incorrectly therefor reading feed-in on L3

The 'known issue' is not really an issue rather that the energy consumption figures are different between the EM24 and the ET340 meters.
Power is displayed the same on all meters, so this has no influence on the numbers you're showing.

for details, read Q9 of the faq:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:start#faq

2 |3000

mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii answered ·

Hello I know this is an old post but I have exactly the same problem.

My EM24 is connected correctly and the Multiplus 2 is also connected to L3.

So that I understand this correctly, do I have to connect the MP2 to L1 so that the Multiphase regulation set to "Individual phase" works?

Is it also possible to feed in with only one MP2 on L1 or L2 or L3 or does it have to be L1?

Thank you for your input.

2 |3000