question

miguel-sanfran avatar image
miguel-sanfran asked

Support for 2011 Multiplus 48/5000/70 not repairable any longer?

My 2011 Multiplus 48/5000/70 has been experiencing some shutdowns with temp alarms and irregular functioning. The distributor who installed it (in Spain) is telling me Victron does not repair equipment built before 2012 and wants to sell me a new inversor/charger. Is he being honest? Thanks for your help

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hello @Miguel Sanfran, welcome to the Community!

This unit is out of warranty, so is not eligible for Victron warranty repair, and replacement components for a unit this old are not readily available to a Victron Repair Centre for repair out of warranty, unless of course they happen to have some old components already laying around.

In essence, your distributor is being entirely honest.

It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that you could find a Victron Repair Centre that has some old units/components on their shelves that would work for you, but that would require a significant bit of legwork on your side and, of course, you would be responsible both for the cost of the repairs as well as the components; furthermore, you would need to take into account the fact that, since the unit itself is out of warranty, so too would be any replacement components that might be found and installed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Miguel Sanfran

Even if there are still parts available, repairing might not be worth it, depending on the state of the inverter (clean inside or not...what kind of environment has it been in)

A new inverter with a discount is usually a great offer, and gives you a 5 year warranty again.

2 |3000

miguel-sanfran avatar image
miguel-sanfran answered ·

Thanks for your answers @Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA and @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff).

I am a bit disappointed at the situation. My inverter is (externally) in mint condition, has always been kept in a covered and ventilated room, has very little use as it powers my country cabin which I use on average 20 weekends per year. I have very little consumption of energy, it seems to me that I should consider an inverter a long term asset rather than a consumable asset after 9 years of very little use. It still works, it makes funny sounds, it just shuts down when I demand extra power (1.9Kw) like a well water pump. My distributor says it seems to be electronics involved, probably needs a board replacement, but Victron does not support him either with repairs or parts for this unit.

If I buy a new Victron inverter, should I then expect a lifespan of 9 years and no support after 8 years from the manufacturer? I was under the impression that is more of a battery lifespan approach, not inverters. But maybe I am wrong.

Anyway, thanks to both for your answers. All the best!!

2 |3000