question

drezdo avatar image
drezdo asked

Inverter install bypasses shunt for BMV 702

I have just installed a 2,000W inverter in our caravan. I have a Victron BMV 702 battery monitor fitted however I could not connect the inverter to the shunt as the earth wires from the battery to the shunt are to light for the inverter. Apart from not registering the inverter usage amps how will this effect the BMV 702 readings?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
trip-tracks avatar image
trip-tracks answered ·

It will throw out the SOC and the current readings, making the BMV useless except for voltage readings.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drezdo avatar image drezdo commented ·

Thanks, I’ll have look at another way/place to instal the shunt. Caravan house batteries are mounted externally, inverter is using B&S 00 cable direct to battery as caravan earth to shunt is at best B&S 8.

I would presume mounting BMV externally is not a recommended option?

0 Likes 0 ·
trip-tracks avatar image trip-tracks drezdo commented ·

Best to install out of the weather.

You just need to add a 00 or larger cable from the shunt to the batteries to resolve the issue? You should also upgrade the links between parallel batteries - positive and negative, if you have not done so already.

The 00 would be minimum size for that size inverter, especially if it is over 1-2 metres long. I am assuming it is a 12V system.... you didn't specify.

The inverter should be mounted as close to the inverter as possible.

0 Likes 0 ·