question

gunnar avatar image
gunnar asked

Orion 12/24-20 current output is out of control

Hello,

So Ive installed 2 Orion 12/24 -20 in parallel to charge my Tesla battery pack to 24v from the 12v engine/battery. I expected to get a combined charging of around 50-60amp.. but my breakers pop after 2sec and the amperage is clearly way way higher..

I went on to just test one and the input amps are 108.5 while out is something like 50amps from the 20amp rated unit.. I don't understand why, shouldn't the unit be limited to 30amps max?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gunnar avatar image gunnar commented ·

Also wanted to add that all resellers and even Victron themselves advertise these units as being able to be used to charge batteries..

It's especially confusing as I also optionally run a chinese 25$ buckboost converter with no such issues for quite a while already which outputs a nice 24v-12.5 amps charge..I just didn't want to install 5 or 6 of those.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
gunnar avatar image
gunnar answered ·

So I finally got a solution. I just replaced my 2 victron 260cad Orion's with 2 chinese buck-boost converters that now work flawlessly and for 60Cad each..also their customer support actually answered my questions instead of sending me to a user forum for answers..

If anyone is interested getting a good deal on 1 or 2 practically unused victron orion 12/24 20amp converters, message me. I'll put them on eBay soon and not look back.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic