question

bathnm avatar image
bathnm asked

MultiPlus BMS Assistance and Charge/Load Disconnect event Alerts

I have noticed that while there is a screen which correctly reflects the Charge Disconnect or Load Disconnect status of the MultiPlus (irrespective of assistant used - 2-Wire or VE-Bus).

1606053871518.png

When the state changes, no alarms are triggered on the Venus OS, and nothing is logged in the VRM Portal, either as an alarm or as data field.

Would it be possible to trigger an alarm on the VenusOS, and report that through to VRM. Maybe also making use of the statue of the BMS available through these two "System Overview" values in VRM

#3 Charge disabled by BMS

#4 Discharge disabled by BMS

This would allow those users of a VE.Bus BMS or smallBMS to get an alert that there is an issue and have it logged. At the moment, those of us remote from the batteries are unable to get any alarms of an issue.

I have thought about wiring the CD and LD into digital inputs, whitening a revision to the Digital inputs driver to label them as BMS events and capture logs through the alarms available. It just seems like a waste of Digital inputs when the data is already available.

Many Thanks.

Venus OSBMS
1606053871518.png (64.3 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

I have been tinkering and following an approach that @osaether used in his "Service to turn Multiplus on/off via digital input".

The below shows changes that take 2 digital inputs from the BMS and get alerts and information into VRM, as per this post.

It doesn't take them from the VE.Bus data as shown in the screen above. I decided that digital inputs connected to CD and LD would provide a better solution, as it means when the MultiPlus is powered down to conserve energy, the events are still available. However driving alerts from the VE.Bus data could also be useful. Maybe digital inputs and VE,Bus data could be combined into a single data source for use within the system.

1606297607833.png

These two feed through to VRM as Digital Input 2 and 3, and appear...

1606297666733.png

Unfortunately there is no type, as I added new types and VRM does not have the mapping to the names "BMS Allow to Charge" and "BMS Allow to Discharge".

The events are listed

1606297738185.png

and I received alert emails.

This only took a few hours to get working, as all the components to feed the digital input information and alerts from the VenusOS into VRM are in place.

@mvader (Victron Energy), This I believe would be extremely useful to the Victron community, especially as highlighted when the information is not available on the VE.Bus, due to the Inverter being powered down. It is a set of very simple changes to the VenusOS GUI and bus_digitalinputs file. A slight change to VRM to map the new digital input types and it is delivered. Could this and the work @osaether (if he is OK with that) on Service to turn Multiplus on/off via digital input" be integrated into VenusOS? I know it is just a starting point of broader capability, but the information on CD and LD are important, especially when remote.

0 Likes 0 ·
1606297607833.png (98.6 KiB)
1606297666733.png (160.8 KiB)
1606297738185.png (72.5 KiB)
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Even a event report in the Inverters VMR excel sheet would be good.

I am also having this problem and the only way I can detect it is a quick move to low amps and a quick move to absorbtion a spike in voltage to its setpoint on the high side as a example.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.