question

davidnepove avatar image
davidnepove asked

Generator shuts down when charging

New problem - just started this week.

I have a victron 3000 and a Honda generator 2200.

When I turn “charge on” or “on” it turns off generator.

What can I do to fix this? I have never opened up the victron since it was installed. I’m new at all this.

Thanks for any advice

David

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi David ! Regarding the generators, I will recommend you testing it alone first, then with a slight load, medium load, and then heavy load, just to be sure the problem is not coming from it.

If it fails, you have to search what's wrong with it. Could be fuel quality, or an old spark plug. I had such kind of issue with mine, and making the maintenance of the generator fixed the problem. Oil, spark plug, checking all connectors.

Michel

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Some more details please.

What "Victron" do you have exactly? Batteries(capacity? chemistry?)? How is everything wired? Is the generator shutting down immediately or after a few seconds/minutes?

I think you will need to adjust some settings of the"Victron".

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 comments
2 |3000

davidnepove avatar image davidnepove commented ·

Thank you for your comment- I have two lithium batteries- lion lithium batteries and the Victron Energy MultiPlus 3000VA 12-Volt Pure Sine Wave Inverter 120 amp Battery Charger

The generator is shutting down after about 30 seconds. It revs up and shuts down.

I agree something changed and I need to reconfigure the victron- but don’t know how....

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ davidnepove commented ·

30s should be the time the Multi needs to synchronize with the generator.

After that the Multi engage it's transfer switch, passes through the generator to the loads and starts charging the batteries.

The default charging current is 80A that means about 1300-1400w from the generator only for charging. If also some other AC loads are running you quickly reach the limit of the generator.

You maybe have to reduce the charging current and/or the AC input current limit.

0 Likes 0 ·
chrisb13 avatar image
chrisb13 answered ·

The exact model of the generator would also be helpful, we need to establish if it has AVR, inverter, or neither. Also, is it a Multiplus, or Multiplus-ii?

2 |3000