question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

Raspberry PI console banner: how to remove

I just brought up Venus GC on a Raspberry PI 4.

I can't find a way to remove the Victron logos from the console screen.

When using the display as a console (headless mode), they restrict real estate for command line interaction.

Commands like 'more' scroll information behind the logos making it impossible to see all of the output. Even critical information output by ifconfig which is needed to eventually ssh in is lost behind the logo

(The logos make sense during boot with headless mode off since the screen will eventually be replaced with the Venus GUI and it's nice to show something on the screen until that happens.)

Raspberry Pi
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hey @Kevin Windrem, hope you're doing well! One possible trick, just in case you haven't already yourself, is to find the file with the image and replace it for a smaller one?

I browsed around our meta-victronenergy repo for a while, but couldn't even find the image.. so can't help you other than above; sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Found it.

Apparently, the logo is compiled into the kernel.

Add logo.nologo to /u-boot/cmdline.txt

details here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11642

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Nice find! Perhaps good to add this into the rpi documentation

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I did a quick addition to it just now

0 Likes 0 ·