question

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird asked

Quattro AC inputs 1 and 2 reversed -Generator and Mains

The Quattro manual indicates that grid power should be on input 2 and generator should be on input 1. If an installation has had these reversed what are the implications?

I understand that if batteries are flat, the unit will not switch on unless power is applied to AC Input 1. Fair enough and that means in this case the unit will switch on if mains is available.

I figure 'Weak AC' and 'Dynamic Current Limiter' will still work on both AC Inputs.

The Quattro favours AC Input 1 if both are present so in this case the unit would favour the Mains and not the generator if both were present. That may be ok.

If current limit levels are set correctly on both AC inputs and the system works fine, is there a technically valid reason to reverse it? I cant think of one, hence my question to the community.

I'm not suggesting deliberately reversing the inputs against convention routinely, but if a system is installed and this reversal is observed, should it be reversed for any technically valid reason?

Regards,

Trevor

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·

+1 watching this also.

Initially I was also connecting the grid to AC1 and generator to AC2, configure the current limits, etc....it was working fine. I was also told by the Victron partner to change the inputs as per manual. I did it. Still, as long as the two inputs are having the same capabilities and you can configure who is what and the related parameters, I don't get the recommendation. But, maybe there are really good technical reason and not only some obsolete limitations.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image
harold answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

harold avatar image harold commented ·

So I switched mine ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
touteslesbatteries avatar image
touteslesbatteries answered ·

I invite you to understand why it's preferable to use AC2 for GRID, you have option to decide to stop the genetrator if you recovery the grid.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:virtual-switch-generator-start-stop

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

I accept the invitation and agree that is a very good inbuilt feature. Not so important if you have a CerboGx and use that for generator control but with a stand alone Quattro it is very handy.

2 |3000