question

tomzinn avatar image
tomzinn asked

MPPT 75|15 and BMV 712 issues

I have an existing system that was working find for the last couple years.

One solar panel on my truck connected into an MPPT 75|15 and a BMV 172 meter.

Both were able to connect via bluetooth to an iphone and everything worked great.

I had the solar panel off for the last few months while installing a new canopy and roof top tent with a new solar panel. Everything in on and connected.

When I plug in the solar panel, I get a 9A draw visible in the BMV712 that slowly dials down to 2.5A and stays there. Battery voltage has been up to 14V according to the BMV.

The 75|15 will no longer connect via bluetooth and I have no idea if this is even working any more.

Today I installed a new 75|15 thinking it may have gone bad but it behaves the same way. I reconnected the old one and it's the same.,

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on here?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@tomzinn, is it possible you connected the controller to the wrong side of the BMV shunt when you reconnected it?

If a charge source is connected to the wrong side of the shunt, a charge will show as a load...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tomzinn avatar image
tomzinn answered ·

Aha, that certainly could be it as I moved that part of the wiring.

I'll move the shunt and see what happens.

Any thoughts on the lack of bluetooth connectivity to the smartsolar mppt? That stopped working before I changed anything.

Thanks for the response! Much appreciated.

1 comment
2 |3000

rodneyab avatar image rodneyab commented ·

I have found that powering down the iPhone, waiting a few minutes then repowering it, will permit good bluetooth connectivity between all VE devices on my list for several minutes. If my attention lapses and/or I do some other task, the bluetooth will be down, and I'll have to power down and repower the iPhone.

0 Likes 0 ·