question

trocefus avatar image
trocefus asked

Victron 150/35 - The Unit is in Bulk Status but isn't charging. Shows volts but no amps.

I just purchased and installed the Victron 150/35 and installed it into my RV. However the system doesn't appear to be charging the battery bank while it is in Bulk Charging Mode. I would think the amps would be maxed out during bulk charging but it shows near zero amps and 86 volts. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong ?

System Info:

1. 48 volt 200amp/hr Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Bank

2. 1600 watt series parallel solar array. (Open PV Voltage of around 85volts @ 72 degrees)

3. Using Victron 150/35 solar charge controller.

ad2872a2-309b-4334-bf6e-07bc2943100b.png

MPPT Controllers
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trocefus avatar image trocefus commented ·

Thanks for the help on this one. So I've taken the advise and tested all the fuses and breakers (all good), checked BMS errors (all good), checked solar panels (all good), checked battery bank with volt meter (all good), firmware was updated at initiation and running the most current version (all good). Any other ideas or is it most likely that I have a bad unit ?

I also received an error message on the controller this morning "current sensor error, check to ensure there are no shorts on negative PV & Battery Terminals".

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
trocefus avatar image
trocefus answered ·

Thanks all. Just a quick follow up to tell you guys what happened and close the loop. Turns out that I had a bad unit. Received a new unit from Amazon, hooked it up and everything worked.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Hi there I am just wondering if you would have changed the settings on the mppt controller to lithium batteries, also check the tab in settings for the charger to make sure it’s blue and charger is set to on, if all has been wired as per the instructions I would double check the solar connections for each panel then double check with a volt metre if you have one to check the various outputs on the solar array also, failing that I would contact the victron dealer you purchased it from, just another note to check you have updated firmware running, hope it helps maybe a reset also would maybe help

Thanks david

2 |3000

ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

I would also check the battery bank also as the BMS might have shut down also and no current would flow but would display voltage, I would maybe try and disconnect the loads from the battery and try a load on the terminals directly to ensure the battery is good also check directly with a volt meter.

Hope this helps some

thanks david

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Check all connections between the MPPT and the battery. It looks like the MPPT has no connection to the battery, maybe an open switch or a blown fuse.

2 |3000

Chad Petersen avatar image
Chad Petersen answered ·

I am having the same issues with my MPPT 150/35. I have 6 MPPT 150/35 running with 6 arrays and 12 batteries. I have already replaced one MPPT and have 2 more doing the same thing. This system is in a remote location on top of a hill and not easily accessible. I have checked everything an have only found the MPPT to be the issue. Any other suggestions out there?

2 |3000