question

freesurfer avatar image
freesurfer asked

Use a SolarSmart MPPT 150/35 as a temporary DC-DC battery charger.

I am setting up a new 48V battery bank but don't have access to the mains in the location (and I have already transported the new batteries over there). The voltages are a bit uneven so I want to recharge them fully before putting them into an array of 3-parallel x 4-series.

I don't have a powerful charger (and don't want to buy one for the purpose), but came to think of the MPPT controller itself that I am going to use, and I am wondering if I can use it to charge the new batteries from the existing 48V battery bank. The idea being to connect the "PV" input from the old battery bank (48V), and connect the "battery" terminals to the individual 12V batteries one at a time, and making sure there are no common grounds/connections between the 2.

The idea seemed great until I noticed a "maximum PV short circuit current" rating of 40A in the spec sheet. Which kind of ruins the idea because the batteries can deliver way more than that. But under what circumstances would it draw more than 40A if the controller is supposed to limit the input current? Can current "shoot through" the DC-DC step-down stage? Can it be protected by protecting the input side with a fuse?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Saff avatar image
Saff answered ·

Your logic of setting it up with a fuse on the input achieves the intent of max input current. Given your input will be 48V and the output is charging 12V batteries, a 20A fuse will be more than enough to test and will amply protect the input side of the MPPT.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think you will have issues with a 20A fuse.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.