question

ceriw avatar image
ceriw asked

Quatro making funny noise - any ideas?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Single install, then check input frequency.

Parallel installation, then possible programming error.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ceriw avatar image ceriw commented ·

Thanks for reply. Grid is a stable 50Hz.

It is a parallel installation, 2x 8kVA Quatros.

Seems odd that it would be a programming error as it has been running fine all summer, just started making this sound today.

I'm still running firmware version 473 in them so i'll update that to the latest version and re-configure them as parallel to rule it out.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes 0 ·

Noise just from one or both?

Noise changing under load, or constant?

If you are flashing new firmware anyway, isolate AC output and run them as individuals to see if it still occurs.

0 Likes 0 ·
ceriw avatar image ceriw Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Got a new symptom - system has shut down completely, with Overload L1.

I've disconnected all loads from the outputs but when I turn them off and back on, it instantly comes up with Overload L1.

As your suggestion, i'll run them up as individual devices tonight and see if that highlights one or the other.

0 Likes 0 ·
ceriw avatar image
ceriw answered ·

An update on this issue.

When i got home last night, the units would not turn on from the switch setting in venus - it would instantly throw an overload l1 error. I unplugged the VEBus cable from the venus, switched the units off and on with their physical switch and they started up fine running in parallel, no errors.

I updated them to 476, updated the ESS assistant that had an * and run them up in turn as individual devices. They worked fine.

I then set them up as parallel and they've run all night with no issues, noise or alarms.

Looking through the firmware changelog between 473 and 476, I can't see anything that's been fixed which would cause my issues, but given the system is symptom free at the moment, there's not much more I can do until/if it plays up again.

Thank you all for your help - i'll keep you updated.

1 comment
2 |3000

ceriw avatar image ceriw commented ·

As an update on this issue, the Quattros went into overload shutdown this morning, with almost nothing on in the house - less than 200W load. System was running in inverter only mode so not connected to grid. Once again, the virtual switch for the Quattros in Venus GX had no effect. Switching the front panel switch of both units to off and then on started the system back up again.

Any ideas what would cause an overload with such a small load?

screenshot-2020-11-15-09-13-04-554-comandroidchrom.jpgscreenshot-2020-11-15-09-12-34-047-comandroidchrom.jpgscreenshot-2020-11-15-09-12-05-073-comandroidchrom.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·