question

roamer105 avatar image
roamer105 asked

What are the electrical limits of the multi plus aux inputs

I need to know how much voltage the aux input is able to tolerate. I know it has a pull-up (open) voltage of about 4.5 volts. Is it possible to push that voltage higher without damaging the aux sensor?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

roamer105 avatar image roamer105 commented ·

Aux appears as logic HI snd LOW. Electrically what voltage level is considered “LOW” given that around 4V it is read as “HI”

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

The maximum voltage of the AUX port is 5V. If you connect a higher voltage the AUX port will try to internally reduce the voltage by means of an internal circuit of diodes and resistors. But if the voltage is too high or the current too large the AUX port will become faulty.

The AUX port will register a high if the voltage is above approximately 4V (due to component tolerances) So use 4.5V just to be sure.

The AUX port will register a low if the voltage is below approximately 1V, But use 0.8V just to be sure.

The AUX port can also make an analogue measurement.

The AUX1, AUX2 and the temperature sensor ports all work in the same way.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rodenberger avatar image rodenberger commented ·

Sehr hilfreicher Kommentar.

Verstehe ich es richtig, daß der AUX im Normalfall High ist und man direkt mit einem Kontakt oder Schalter das Signal auf Low legen kann?

Ich habe erst Angenommen, das der Eingang low ist und eine Spannung von 5 V dringend benötigen um AUX auf High zu legen.

Danke

Übersetzung etwas falsch

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ rodenberger commented ·
Hi @Rodenberger

Yes, it's pulled high internally, so shorting the input gives a 'closed' or 0v reading, and an open input is about 5v

0 Likes 0 ·
roamer105 avatar image
roamer105 answered ·

Perfect, thank you. I have a 12+ Volt signal source and I am using a voltage divider to avoid killing the AUX port(s)

1 comment
2 |3000

benm avatar image benm commented ·

I Have a positive signal, 24V from a BMS, to trigger aux 1.

(Multi plus 2, 24V/3000W)

I know:

1. I can use a dry contact to trigger aux 1

2. I can use a opto coupler. (Which I used a few times with a REC BMS)

@Roamer105 @Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) or some else, can you explain with a diagram how you use the positive signal to trigger AUX 1?

I like to avoid to use a extra signal relay. (extra power use 8 a 15mA)

0 Likes 0 ·
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Yes you can use a dry contact and also an opto coupler.

These two slides might help:

1674021398285.png

1674021425546.png

1674021398285.png (814.1 KiB)
1674021425546.png (125.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

jon-lowbank avatar image jon-lowbank commented ·

Hi Margreet thanks for your work, Will the Aux input also work if you short + terminal to battery -ev ?

untitled.png

0 Likes 0 ·
untitled.png (27.1 KiB)