question

chad-poindexter avatar image
chad-poindexter asked

HUB1 for Solar Priority in RV?

I have a 30A service in my camper. I do not have an "inline" generator (meaning, it is not controlled by anything... I have to actually go out and turn it on...lol). I do have 600 watts of solar on the roof with a Smart Solar 100/50 MPPT, a Multiplus 12/3000/120, 210 Ah of Lion Energy Safari UT1300 LiFePO4 lithium batteries and a Cerbo GX. I also have a BMV712 keeping an eye on everything for me!

When not out camping I keep my camper plugged into a dedicated 30A plug at my home and continue to use some items in the camper. My goal now is to prioritize solar to maintain a charged battery bank, and then provide as much solar power as possible to run any loads inside the camper as needed. On the occasion that the solar does not provide enough power, I would then like for the shore power to kick in and *supplement* the solar power to meet these goals. I have no desire nor the hardware necessary to feed back any power to the grid, so this will only be for self consumption.

For reference, I am not a licensed electrician and only have a basic knowledge and understanding (but am happy and eager to learn!)

To accomplish this goal I was told to run the ESS assistant along with DVCC, however, when researching these options, I realize that Victron does not approve the use of ESS or DVCC in a camper/RV. After bringing this up I was directed towards the (old?) Self Consumption HUB1 assistant.

From reading, it looks like this is exactly what I want to do, however, it appears many functions of the HUB1 assistant have been deprecated. So, my questions are now geared towards this assistant...

1. Should/can I still use the Self Consumption HUB1 assistant to accomplish my goal? Is it still functional?

2. If I can still use this assistant, what country code should I use to enable the assistant? I am located in North America/USA and when using the "fake target with full options" to simply play with the settings rather than programming anything into my actual system just yet, I see no listing for North America in the country code drop down box. Is there an option for North America or USA when inputing the real assistant (not the fake version) in my actual system, or instead do I select one of the "Other" options... and if so, which one?

3. When going through the HUB1 assistant screens, under the "System" screen I have to choose a battery, but I am not sure which one to choose. As I mentioned, I am using Lion Energy Safari UT1300 batteries which does have an integrated BMS in each battery, however, I don't think this type of battery choice is on the list. The only one I see that may be close is the "System uses LiFePO4 batteries with a two signal BMS" however I don't think that this is exactly what my batteries are... so, which option do I choose?

4. In the "Policy" screen, the last option "Connected to mains, no feedback" sounds like the choice I need, is this correct? Also, I notice this one doesn't have the "DEPRECATED" stamp behind it, which makes me think that this is still a useable option that can be chosen?

5. Skipping over to the "Battery State Inputs" screen, how would I need to fill those blocks out? I assume I would need to use the T Sense wire that came with the Multiplus for this? For the record, I don't have this wire attached to my Multiplus at this time, instead I have the VE BUS Smart Dongle attached to the Multiplus, which as I understand it, the Smart Dongle supplies the Multiplus with both temperature and voltage information. But, should I use the T Sense wire instead, or can I just stick with the Smart Dongle? As well, what information do I use in those 4 drop down boxes? Will I have to program a relay??

I think this will get me started. And as I stated, I am not an electrician, and I am just learning all of this as I go. If you have any questions, or if I did not provide enough, or the correct information, please let me know what I need to provide in order to get this figured out. Thanks!

ESSAssistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@chad-poindexter

There are several options such as the virtual switch as well. Where you can connect to grid under load or battery conditions. then there is no need for grid code changes.

The other option is ti use the generator start stop and use the grid as as generator also based on load or battery conditions. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:ignore_ac_input_using_the_generator_assistant

Hub-1 still works, by depreciated I think they mean they are no longer updating or working on program improvements. Possible new firmware or hardware will phase out its ability to function properly. Or at least that is what I understand the documentation to mean by that.

You can also run the system with no virtual switch or ess and just have a set current limit input adjustable through the GX device, which will also make your system rely more on its own solar and allow you to tweak it up if you desire a larger draw from the grid.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chad-poindexter avatar image
chad-poindexter answered ·

@Alexandra Thanks! I'll admit, that all sounds pretty greek to me, but I'm digging!

For now I went ahead and set up the "Ignore AC Input" Virtual Switch. Some questions about the settings I used though...

For the "Do not ignore AC input when load higher than..." I went with 1500 watts. This will be when my air conditioner would kick in and went with that option because my solar can't keep up with the AC (or anything when combined at that draw). I set it to start ignoring it again after 2 minutes below 1200 watts. However, I may play with that number some after watching what it does for a while...

Under the battery conditions, I set the "Do not ignore AC" at 13V. I am not real sure what number to use here... I would like to keep my batteries at 80%, but the numbers seem to move so little with LiFePO4 batteries... Right now I'm at a 97% SoC with a 40 watt draw and the voltage reads 13.26V. When looking back at some recent history, I was at 50% SoC ay 12.97V, however, that was also with my AC running...

Another question, I do not have the "Enable Battery monitor" box ticked on under the general tab. I am using a BMV712, and I also have a VE Bus Smart Dongle attached to my Multiplus, then everything is connected via the Cerbo GX. Should I tick the box on to Enable the battery monitor in the Multiplus settings? Would the VE Bus Smart Dongle provide the correct information, or perhaps the BMV712? I see that I can set the AC to stop being ignored based on battery SoC, so maybe this is the setting I am looking for? I am just confused as to where it is getting the actual SoC from... the Smart Dongle, or the BMV... or somewhere else?

Thanks again, and look forward to any additional help you can provide!

1 comment
2 |3000

meschmid23 avatar image meschmid23 commented ·

@chad-poindexter, do you have an update on how you solved your solar priority problem? I have a similar set up but with 2400 Watts of solar, 2 MPPT 150/100, 2 multi 3000, 6 BB 100 Ah batteries, Cerbo GX, and lynx shut system.

I am also carious on the best approach to use solar first, then assist with shore power when needed and no feed back to the grid. Hub 4 assistant sounds very appealing (with disabling feed back to grid), but requires an Energy meter and anti-islanding device.

Did you determine is you need to enable the Multi battery monitor with you MBV712 (should be similar to my Lynx shunt)?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Chad Poindexter

https://community.victronenergy.com/storage/attachments/3299-virtual-switch-ignore-ac-lesson.pdf

There is a handy lesson there to use for virtual switch.

Yes, you will have to enable the internal battery monitor. You can use SOC as well at the end of the day, try a set up and then tweak it as you work out what fits your needs best.

2 |3000