question

ejm avatar image
ejm asked

Auto start Generator

I have a victron quattro 48/5000 system. Has anyone used a Honda EU3000IS generator with Auto start if the panels are not enough and the batteries need a charge? Does my inverter offer this option for autostart

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Quatros and Multis have a generator start/stop assistant which can be set up to start the generator on low SOC as well as other conditions.

The Quatro's relay closes when the generator should be running and opens when the generator should stop. If the EU3000IS is like my EU7000iS, you need two signals. The Quatro relay is suitable for the run/stop control input (via a second relay that can handle the starting current). You will also need to generate a start pulse from the relay closing, delayed about 1 second and lasting for another second or two. There are time delay relays available for this, or you can purchase a generator control module that handles everything including restarts.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejm avatar image
ejm answered ·

generator control module sounds easier. Anyone use one that works well and they could recommend?

2 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Here's one I found in another post.

http://atkinsonelectronics.com/gscm-mini-60hz-usa-canada/

I'm sure there are others. A search on Amazon turns up a lot of things too.

Also, here's the official Victron documents on generator control:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/auto-generator-start-stop:start

0 Likes 0 ·
jannas avatar image jannas commented ·

Hey Im trying to intigrate a Kholer Genset and the CerboGX relay but ran into this problem on the start sequence did the control module work for you in the end ?

0 Likes 0 ·