question

freesurfer avatar image
freesurfer asked

Multiplus II 48/3000 power consumption when switched off to "0"?

My supplier had some post where they suggested that the it is an idea to disconnect the multiplus from the battery bank if left for a while without any trickle charge, and that it may draw as much as 2W even when switched off. I wonder if this is correct, or if something is getting mixed up.

I'm talking about when the unit is switched to the "0" position, and not some soft power-off or search mode etc. I have the Multiplus II 48/3000/35-32.

2W may not be a lot, but still adds up to 48Wh/day, or 1.4kWh/month which can be significant on top of other self discharge.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Freesurfer

Yes this is correct, and something you have to be cautious about when designing a system that can be left unpowered for long. (so if needed, install a battery isolator switch, or another way of disconnecting)

the battery terminals are always connected to the Capacitors, and an internal power supply to be able to turn the unit on through the front switch.

(I don't know if 2W is the actual rating)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

freesurfer avatar image
freesurfer answered ·

Thanks for the response. I understand that most devices may have some sort of draw even when switched off. But I would be surprised if it is as high as 2W on its own, considering that the unit is specced to draw 2W in "search mode" where it does a 230V sine cycle every second to detect if any load is plugged in.

Has anyone actually measured this?

2 |3000