question

mt-geek avatar image
mt-geek asked

Will a bad capacitor 3900uf 80v in the power board cause the power assist to not work right on a 48-15000

Will a bad capacitor 3900uf 80v in the power board cause the power assist to not work right on a 48-15000 it is brand new

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @mt_geek

If a new unit is defective (or any unit inside warranty term), please contact your dealer for a solution.

What makes you think the capacitor is bad?

15 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mt-geek avatar image mt-geek commented ·

when I first turned on I started to smell that smell of a blown electrolyte capacitor. I am working with the Dealer but it is $936 to ship it to a repair center

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mt-geek commented ·

@mt_geek

It's hard to judge from here what the smell is / was... ('new car smell?')

Does the unit function normally? what is the reason you think it is not functioning well?

0 Likes 0 ·
mt-geek avatar image mt-geek Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Have you smelled it when a capacitor blows up in a power supple, that is the smell.

with the power assist set at 27 amps it will start to assist at 27 amps and above fine. It is when the amps go lower than 27 it will not stop assist at 15 amps. The dc input does not go below 37 amps until it stops assisting then it start to charge

I really appreciate your help. thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mt-geek commented ·

I've seen a capacitor make a smoke-show and leak, but don't know what smell belongs to it.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, I assume you mean 'AC input' and not 'DC input' as you write?

how do you test this? what loads do you use?

also, any grid-code / assistants? (ESS?)

maybe you can make a video?

0 Likes 0 ·
mt-geek avatar image mt-geek Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

that is the 48v dc input at 37 amps. the ac input are the 27 and 15. No grid-code, assistants, or ESS.

It is disconnected now so as not to damage it. I will go reconnect it

0 Likes 0 ·

when it get to the limit 26 amps it starts to over assist and the ac input drops to 15 amps.

0 Likes 0 ·

how do you test this? what loads do you use?

0 Likes 0 ·

A heater,toaster oven

0 Likes 0 ·

A heater, and toaster oven

0 Likes 0 ·

0 Likes 0 ·

@mt_geek

It's working perfectly in this video!

0 Likes 0 ·

This what I am seeing

0 Likes 0 ·
assist.jpg (830.6 KiB)

Please make a video where you can see this. And you have to give the unit some time to stabilize.

it won't be 'exactly 26A' of course.

0 Likes 0 ·

when the load is dropping

0 Likes 0 ·
assist1.jpg (890.2 KiB)

I willl try in the morning. it is 2:40 am here

0 Likes 0 ·
mt-geek avatar image
mt-geek answered ·

Hi Daniël Thank you so much for all your help. I found out was going on. the Minimum assist power is 1600 watts on the 15k Quattro and 200 watts on the 5k Quattro. S I am going back to the 5k and manually switch to the 15k when needed thanks again.

2 |3000