cpparkcity asked

Syncing Two different MPPT SmartSolar controllers

I have a Victron

-Multibus 3000/12 with VE Bus

-SmartSolar 100/50 connected to 500W of panels on the Roof of RV

-SmartSolar 100/20 connected to a 200W suitcase solar

-Smart BMV-712

-300Ah of 12v Battleborn battery bank

Do I need the "battery sense" module in order for the two MPPT controller to sync/optimize their charges from the two separate solar arrays? Or if as long as the two MPPT smart solar controllers and the Smart BMV are all connected to my VE.Smart Networking should it work propertly? How can I tell if it is working properly?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

For synchronised charging you only need to a) use SmartSolar MPPT chargers and b) create a VE.Smart Network between all units.

It is not required to also include a BMV or SBS in the same VE.Smart Network for synchronised charging to work.

But if you want to also use voltage, temperature and current sense then you can also add a BMV or SBS to the same VE.Smart Network.

See: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:ve-smart-networking#synchronised_charging_-_further_details

To check if synchronised charging is working you can look at the VE.Smart Networking page of each SmartSolar MPPT charger, there will also be a 'network' symbol in the top right corner of the main STATUS page.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.