question

ckhorne avatar image
ckhorne asked

Unable to boot Venus OS on RBP 3B+

I've been trying to get the Venus OS loaded onto a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, but am just getting frustrated. No attempt to write the img to the card will cause it to boot. I'm using Mac OS for my primary computer (to load the image). I've tried:

• Loading venus-image-raspberrypi2-20200906135923-v2.60.rootfs.rpi-sdimg.zip
    • Using Raspberry Pi Imager
      • direct from zip
      • unzipped
    • Using balanaEtcher
      • unzipped and renamed extension to .img
    • Using command line dd
  • The same above but with 20200301205316-v2.51
  • EEPROM boot recovery and erasing the SD card before loading
  • Using two different SanDisk Ultra SD cards (8 and 32Gb)
  • Two different Macbook Pro's

In every case, I only get the rainbow screen at startup. As a sanity check, I used the Raspberry Pi Imager to load the latest RBP OS to the card, and it booted the first time, so I'm fairly confident my loading process, cards, and RBP board are fine.

What else can I try?

Venus OSRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ckhorne avatar image
ckhorne answered ·

I got everything working. I was going to just delete this post, but for the sake of letting someone else know in the future-

I had a friend who had a RBP 3, and the image worked fine for him. I looked up my original purchase on amazon, and saw that it was from 2014, before the 3 even came out.... I was trying it out on a Pi B+, not a Pi 3 B+. No wonder it wouldn't boot.

So... Don't be an idiot like me. Make sure you have the correct version of the board.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trungt avatar image
trungt answered ·

Hi Ckhorne

Yep, I also have the same problem trying to get Venus OS V,2.60 to boot up as well on my RPi3+???

I am carrying out the same process as you are. I haven't had any luck - tried a few times today and will give it another go or two tomorrow and to see what happens?

1 comment
2 |3000

philm142 avatar image philm142 commented ·
Hi trungt, did you get to the bottom of this, I'm having the same problem I've tried two different Raspberry pi3B+'s and two different SD cards. I've tried every image from 2.60 to 2.71 and created the images with Win32Diskimage/Balenaetcher and Raspberry OS imager and all fail to boot up. I've checked both PI's boot with a copy of the lastest Raspberry OS, but cannnot get Venus OS to boot.
0 Likes 0 ·