question

knauer avatar image
knauer asked

[feature request] use Load Output signal on the bigger SmartSolar MPPTs

Sadly, I realized after buying it, that the SmartSolar 100/50 has no load output. But I see the signal "LOAD" in it's serial output, although it's not supposed to be there (see foot note 5 on page 5 of VE.Direct Protocol 3.28).

But I can't see it switching, it seems always on. It would be really nice, to have the signal switching after the same algorithm as the real load outputs of the smaller models do. So one could use this signal for own purposes.

In my case, the MPPT is connected to my sensor/logger/actuator system in my caravan and I could easily switch my AES fridge's 12VDC mode on/off by my main controller. The signal from the MPPT to know when to do so came in very handy.

I could reprogram the algorithm, but I think, the MPPT knows better when solar power is spare. And the routines are already there, since the ones with the load output use the same firmware as the ones without and they have a virtual load output via TX pin. But I need this TX pin for communication.

In case I missed something I'd appreciate any hints. Also, in case my feature request will never be implemented, any hints on how to reprogram the BatteryLife algorithm?

feature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
knauer avatar image
knauer answered ·

Is it a good idea to just switch the fridge to 12VDC when the MPPT goes into float and switch back off when in absortption?

Are there other parameters than battery voltage considered in the BatteryLife algorithm of switching the load output on the smaller MPPTs?

As I understood, it's a hysteresis with the lower threshold adjusted somehow.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

knauer avatar image
knauer answered ·

I'd really appreciate an answer, especially from the developers. For them, this must be easy to answer at first hand...

Is it possible to get the BatteryLife algorithm output information somehow out of a SmartSolar 100/50 without losing the TX port?

If not, can this feature request please be considered?

2 |3000

knauer avatar image
knauer answered ·

Sorry for pushing, but Victron: I'd really like to have an answer. This is nothing that my distributor can answer. Please tell we if I missed something, or if there is a workaround, and please put it on the feature request list. This cannot be hard to do, see above - it's already programmed in the firmware.

Thanks, best regards.

2 |3000

knauer avatar image
knauer answered ·

It's sad, that there's no support in this.

2 |3000

Related Resources

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.