question

Matt Knight avatar image
Matt Knight asked

Feature Request: Connect CCGX to hidden WiFi SSID

I know this question has already been asked before (https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/35671/can-the-ccgx-connect-to-a-hidden-wifi-network.html), but the answer was uncertain and still not ideal.

Our network is segregated into multiple VLANs to help isolate devices and allow the firewall to route the traffic. In particular, we have a specific VLAN for IoT devices that require WAN (i.e. Internet) access. I would like to hide that SSID, however the CCGX can only connect to visible SSIDs - I don't have another GX-family device to test, but it may apply to those too.

The answer provided in the previous question was to try making the SSID visible, connecting the CCGX and then hiding the SSID again.

Questions:

1. Does this actually work?
  2. Are there any impacts of this, for example if the WiFi disappears and reappears, will the CCGX's ability to reconnect be impeded?
  3. Will the CCGX still be able to roam between multiple APs (i.e. BSSIDs) with the same SSID if the SSID is hidden?

The rationale given for not offering connection to hidden SSIDs was that the user experience to enter an SSID manually would be cumbersome. Agreed, but it's no worse than entering a long, complex password which needs doing anyway!

I wasn't sure where best to submit a feature request, hence I'm putting it here. Even if the workaround above does work fine, I still think there is a valid need to manually input a WiFi SSID and password to allow for the use of hidden SSIDs.

feature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Matt Knight

I've moved your question to the 'modifications' section for better exposure.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Christian Lindermann avatar image
Christian Lindermann answered ·

Hi.

Old request, but still relevant.

I have the same requirement, different SSIDs for VLANs and don’t want to put them visible.

The approach described above works, but only as long as the corresponding access point is running. In case of reboot, power failure, etc. the Cerbo won’t reconnect to wifi.

So please implement the function to manually input the ssid or something else to make it possible to connect to hidden networks.

Thanks!

2 |3000

ouk avatar image
ouk answered ·

Same here, could we please have the ability to auto-reconnect to hidden wifi?

Thanks in advance!

2 |3000

Related Resources

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.