question

bortman avatar image
bortman asked

Using multiple PV MC4 inputs on EasySolar MPPT 100/50

Hi - hoping someone can help me understand if this is working as it should. I have 3 x 370w 37v panels and each panel is connected to the MPPT 100/50 separately to each pair of 3 x MC4 PV inputs that come with the Easysolar 1600 12 volt. Have checked all connections and none are reversed etc.

I would have thought the Victron Connect screen would show the cumulative wattage voltage and amps from the panels on the dashboard U see solar but it never goes above what appears to be one panels info on a very sunny day (see image). The battery amps seem to be high though reflecting the unit delivering power to the batteries from more than one panel but this never seems to go above 20amps ? Is this correct ??

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

The easiest thing to do would be to unplug all 3 panels, then plug them in 1 at a time while monitoring the app.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'd have thought you'd get more than that. Even if it's quite hot outside you should get at least 500W, assuming they are all northg facing.
Try connecting only one panel at a time, each in turn and see what each one makes on it's own.

2 |3000

bortman avatar image
bortman answered ·

have tried this already - doesn’t explain the battery current being so high compared to the solar current - any other thoughts ??

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

doesn’t explain the battery current being so high compared to the solar current

Power coming into the Mppt (31v x 8.9a = 276w) is pretty much the same as the power going to the battery (12.49v x 21.6a = 270w).

Your Mppt is capable of 50a output to the battery. At 14v that is 700w. You have enough panels (1110w) to drive the mppt to it's limits.

0 Likes 0 ·
bortman avatar image bortman klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Thanks - will do some more investigating around the connections

0 Likes 0 ·