question

nickdb avatar image
nickdb asked

Optimise BMV SOC detection with ESS

I have a BMV712 connected to 4 x 220AH Victron Gel batteries in series, an MP2 3kVA and a 150/45 MPPT using ESS.

I put the bmv in when it became obvious that the MP2 was useless at accurately reporting SOC.

I have tuned the BMV as per docs and some guidance from victron (charge voltage midway between float and absorption, extended the time needed to sync to 8 minutes and reduced the tail current to 1.9%).

This works most of the time, the SOC gets to around 98% and then syncs.

Where it falls apart is if when there are bad PV days and the charge voltage is closer to float, the batteries don't sync. after a couple of days you end up with charged batteries but with a decreasing SOC reported.

When batteries discharge you now hit the ESS SOC limit too quickly (only use top 30%) which means the batteries never discharge far enough to hit bulk/absorption.

You're now get stuck in this float/discharge cycle, with battersafe increasing limits making it worse.

Being unable to force a remote sync means it is a real problem to break this cycle without having to start changing the ESS schedules and limits.

Is there a better way to setup the BMV?

For those doing partial discharge of batteries it isn't difficult to end up in this loop.

ESSBMV Battery MonitorSOC
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Remote sync via VRM, will help break this loop.

Still keen to know if there is a better way to tune the shunt, or if I have to live with it.

The hybrid (both solar and backup power) approach seems to have its challenges.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
alan avatar image
alan answered ·

If the charge voltage hits closer to float, the batteries will be nowhere near charged as they haven't even gone through the absorption phase.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.