question

Manda avatar image
Manda asked

ESS can't be used in my country ?

Hi. I'm living in Madagascar. I have a 5kVA Multiplus, a cerbo, 2*150/35 MPPTs, 2790 Wc PV array and I wait to be delivered lithium batteries.

There is "nothing" about feed-in here, so let's say that it is prohibited. No way to get the grid code standart and "password" required in ESS setting.

I read that "If you leave this setting as 'None', the system will not supply battery energy to support local AC loads when the grid is connected. You do need to change this setting even if it is your intention not to export DC energy to the grid." That's why my question : Can't I use ESS (any of the 3 modes) ? Is there any alternative for my need ?

I want to use the grid power only when power of PV is not sufficent to power load and SOC less than a specified value.

Thanks

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
sparkpoint-solar avatar image
sparkpoint-solar answered ·

Don't use ESS, use the virtual switch.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Manda avatar image
Manda answered ·

Thanks for the answer. In fact, after reading further, my wish sounds like what they call "inverter priority": NO ESS.

I'll read more about virtual switches.

2 |3000

Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

If your grid is corect, you can use the ESS with grid code other and ad an anti islanding system like the zielh

with ESS it s more easy !

2 |3000

Manda avatar image
Manda answered ·

"Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) répondu · il y a 12 heures

If your grid is corect, you can use the ESS with grid code other and ad an anti islanding system like the zielh

with ESS it s more easy !"

Indeed, ESS sounds to be "the" solution, but the grid is very bad in my country (the poorest I ever see : off for 2-3 hours 1-3 times a day, 125-210 V 70% of daytime) that's why the purpose of solar energy installation.

I thought that entering any grid code standart requires a password (even the international ones)… I'll double-check

If you talked about the UFR1001E, the purchase from Madagascar is difficult (the cost, payment and shipping)…

I'm trying to make an utility (node red - mqtt - raspberry pi) to handle the parts of my install and to record some data, so, perhaps, a possibility to hand-make an anti-islanding system… but once again, I don't know about legality

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual