question

doublebubble avatar image
doublebubble asked

Engine start sluggish

Some advice please. We have a set up on our yacht with a Victron phoenix multiplus 12/3000/120, BMV700, and three Victron MPPT'S from three sets of solar panels and a 6kva generator which is all working well and showing correct charging and discharging characteristics, the only problem I'm having is that the alternators are not showing a charge rate at the BMV, I have the alt neg connected to the load side of the shunt, but that doesn't seem to work, if I connect the engine ground to the load side of the shunt then it shows the alt charge but then the engines are very sluggish to start as if the batteries are flat, which there not, return the eng neg to the batteries and the starting returns to normal, good start power, can anyone suggest a different approach or where to connect the eng neg.

Cheers Rod

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
tony-c avatar image
tony-c answered ·

G'Day Rod,

Have you time to draw out your connections, just block diagram will do. Your comment " I have the alt neg connected to the load side of the shunt, " has me puzzled.

Cheers tony

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mt-geek avatar image
mt-geek answered ·

most alternator the neg connection is grounded to the case. You will need a shunt that work on the pos terminal

2 |3000