question

mhuusko avatar image
mhuusko asked

Initial charging of smart litium with agm charger

can initial charging of smart litium be done with standard agm charger.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Mhuusko

Please follow the manual on this. you could use any charger that puts out the correct voltage...as long as it is controlled by the BMS!!

'a AGM charger' doesn't say anything.

ps. if it's a 12V system than you don't have to do an initial charge, only when you put multiple batteries in series.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mhuusko avatar image mhuusko commented ·

I’m about to in parallel connect an additional 200 Ah battery to my RV.

The new battery cell are at 3.26V.

Only hava a Ctek MSX 25 external charger, could it be used?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mhuusko commented ·

@Mhuusko

again: for a parallel connected battery you don't need an initial charge, just make sure they are both at about the same voltage before connecting.

in your system, make sure the BMS controls the charging / discharging as in the manuals.

0 Likes 0 ·
mhuusko avatar image mhuusko Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks,

then I know that there is no need of initial charging if the new battery is 13.28V.

I’m installing 3x200Ah in a small space in a RV, is there need for any space between the batteries or can I mount them tight next to eahother?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jonathan avatar image Jonathan Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

What approximately is “about at the same voltage”? A couple volt difference acceptable or ??

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Jonathan commented ·
Far too much. If you can't charge both to the same voltage, balance them by joining the negatives, then connect a light bulb or power resistor across the positives until the voltages are equal/current stops flowing through the bulb. It will take a while.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic