question

thomaspline avatar image
thomaspline asked

BMV-712 shows SoC at 1% even after I fully charge and manually reset to 100%

Hi all! I have a van electrical system that is based off of this:

https://faroutride.com/wiring-diagram/

I have two 200ah AGM batteries and two 175w solar panels. My solar charge controller is a MPPT 100|30 (which I have a bluetooth dongle for). The battery monitor is the BMV-712 which is connected via the shunt included (which connects the negative side of my battery bank and the negative bus bar).

My problem is that my state of charge permanently shows 1% even after fully charging using my shore power plug-in. Nothing happens when I press the "synchronize SoC to 100%". When I manually set the SoC to 100%, it changes for about 2 seconds and then automatically reverts back to 1%.

Any ideas?

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michelg avatar image michelg commented ·

Hi Thomas ! Ok, I will change charge efficiency factor to 80%, then current threshold to 2.0A, and time to go to 30 minutes. I have such kind of parameters in my setup if I remember right.

I'll check tomorrow, and let you know the exact details.

Michel

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Thomas... Not sure, but if I remember right there is a direction flow with the BMVs and shunts. I suspect you inversed it ... Take a look at that picture, it might help.

Michel

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thomaspline avatar image thomaspline commented ·

Thanks for the response. I checked the direction of the shunt and it is correct. I have it oriented as you do in your diagram with the battery on the left, the connection to the solar charge controller on the right, and the connection to the read-out panel from the bottom. Any other ideas? I feel like switching back to 1% is a huge clue, but I have no idea what it means.

0 Likes 0 ·
Cyrille GIRARDOT avatar image
Cyrille GIRARDOT answered ·

and all configuration settings are correct?
and all other readings, voltage, Ah, middle voltage, are ok?

very strange !!

2 |3000

michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Thomas ! any chance to get the parameters from the BMV-712, using the VictronConnect App (bluetooth) and publishing all the captured screens here ?

Thanks, Michel

5 comments
2 |3000

thomaspline avatar image thomaspline commented ·

**note** The black/red 4g wire that is coming from the white sterling battery to battery charger (via a fuse) goes under the floor to the front of the van and hooks to the starter battery and thereby the alternator.

Hope these images help!

0 Likes 0 ·
img-8050.jpg (2.0 MiB)
img-8055.png (154.7 KiB)
img-8056.png (184.6 KiB)
img-8057.png (145.4 KiB)
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ thomaspline commented ·

You have State Of Charge set to 1%.

It might be worth setting this to 100%.

0 Likes 0 ·
bmv-soc.png (50.2 KiB)
thomaspline avatar image thomaspline klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

When I manually set the SoC to 100%, it changes for about 2 seconds and then automatically reverts back to 1%.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ thomaspline commented ·

You are manually resetting your SOC to 1%.?

0 Likes 0 ·
bmv-soc-2.png (56.5 KiB)
thomaspline avatar image thomaspline klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I type in 1% and it automatically changes to 100%. It changes on it's own.

0 Likes 0 ·