question

Pierre Cervenka avatar image
Pierre Cervenka asked

Isolation Transformer help

Hi! I bought the Isolation Transformer 3600W Auto 115/230V (SKU: ITR050362041) from a web shop in France in October 2019, brought it in Greece (Preveza) this summer, and installed it in my boat this week.

The connections are straightforward :

Input (L, N, PE) connected from the shore inlet with 6 mm2 wires (H07RNF 3G6) to handle future 110 V input;

Output (L, N, PE) to Differential Circuit Breaker (left open at the moment).

A 4 mm2 cable connects directly the transformer case to the ground common point of the boat.

The various shunts in the transformer are set in order to: 1) output 230 V; 2) connect N et PE outputs; 3) connect input and output PEs (the boat is on the dry).

Unfortunately, when I connect to shore power, only the green Led lights up, which would be normal if the input voltages was not in the proper ranges.

However, I checked that there is 227 V on the input side between L-PE and N-L, and 2 V between N-PE (same as on the shipyard post). 0V everywhere else at the output.

I addressed the problem to the retailer yesterday, but I don't know when I will get a response, and I am afraid that this response will be anyhow to send it back, which will not be very convenient for me (to say the least).

There is no Victron distributor in the Ionian area.

Is there anything I can do to identify the origin of the problem, and what can be done from this place (I won't stay here much longer than 2 weeks).

Much thanks for any help.

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Pierre Cervenka avatar image
Pierre Cervenka answered ·

Friday 18: First contact with distributor (with pictures, and complete description of the problem)

Tuesday 22: Distributor transmits back to me that Victron requests pictures and circuit drawing! New pictures and circuit drawing (simplistic case) sent the same day.

Wednesday: nothing

Friday 25: becoming to be quiet distressed, I send measurements on the transformer windings made with a basic DC ohm-meter. Everything normal, i.e.,

J18-J15 (pri) = J16-J17 (pri) = J30-J27 (sec) = J28-J26 (sec) = between 1.1 and 1.3 ohm,

Any other pair exhibits no short (infinite resistance).

My own conclusion is the front card holding the voltage sensing, relays, ... is defective.

I suggest being sent a replacement card (much simpler than sending back and forth the whole transfo between Greece, France, and The Netherlands.

Saturday 26: still no news...

I am wondering if it was really worth spending 842.50 € (VAT included) for such a result...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cwuerker avatar image
cwuerker answered ·

Pierre - It’s three years later but I’m having the same issue. What happened in your situation? Chris in Valencia, Spain

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic