question

mrcc11 avatar image
mrcc11 asked

Multiplus continuous power limits with non linear loads

I am designing a solar system to charge electric lawn equipment with a Multiplus 24V 3000w. When all 3 lithium battery chargers are on they will pull 2700 Watts which is over the continuous rating. It is to my understanding that these lithium tool chargers are non linear loads. Under the specifications 3000 watts is the continuous rating for non linear loads. Am I correct in thinking that as long as the temperature is kept in check the system wont overload?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes if you keep the Temp in check and under 25Deg C then you will be able to do this. cooling is the key,

as a side though if you do have THIS OVERLOAD issues. the below is a possible solution AS WELL THAT MAY WORK for you.

you could add assistants to the multiplus to control and turn AC2 out on and off based on the multiplus going into overload condition

ie as a example

if you put 2 chargers on AC1 out and one on AC2 out then if the system did overload you could open AC2-out relay and thus turn off one charger then when the overload condition stopped then the assistant would turn AC2 out relay back on.

yes the 3rd charger may take longer to charge but the system would not shut down

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos answered ·

Another option if possible might be to buy a 4th battery for the equipment so that you have one spare, then you don't have to always charge all 3 batteries at the same time?

This is what a friend does with cordless tools, apart from a battery in each of his tools, he also has 2 fully charged spares always on hand so that he doesn't have to charge a bunch of batteries at the same time.

2 |3000