question

Nickus de Vos avatar image
Nickus de Vos asked

Which Orion 24/12 to power 12V consumers is correct for my application

Hi all

I couldn't find a direct answer, most people seam to be using Orion's to charge batteries.

I'm helping a friend with the electrical system in his caravan. The caravan has a 24V battery bank and inverter, but there are a couple of 12V consumers like lights, fridge and radio.

Will the Orion 24/12-25A non isolated be the correct DC-DC to use to run the 12V consumers in the caravan or should a isolated one be used?

For now I think 25A will be a good size to start with, but we can always add a second one in parallel should it be needed at a later stage.

Also, if this is the correct Orion, is it recommended to place a big fuse on the 12V output side and if so what size of fuse? Each of the 12V devices lights, fridge etc will also have its own inline fuse.

Thanks

Nick

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

If you feel that the 25A would be a good size now, I would consider starting with the 40A version.

Personally I like to oversize a bit to allow for start up current from devices like the fridge.

I also like to fuse the output (match to model size and wiring, lesser of the two) and input (15A fuse for the 25A, 25A fuse for the 40A) to the reducers, cheap insurance.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nickus de Vos avatar image Nickus de Vos commented ·

I see on the spec sheet the 40A version's voltage isn't adjustable and you also can't parallel it with more units. I think we'll rather stick to the 25A version, I see it can supply 35A peak which will be plenty for the fridges start up current.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic