question

daniel-chaffee avatar image
daniel-chaffee asked

Pmax value reported by solar controller higher than panel max

I have 2 300 watt panels hooked in series to my victron solar controller. I would expect to never see more than 600 watts. Occasionally I will see a day where it reports pMax of 635 or some other value greater than 600. How is this possible to see a greater wattage than the theoretical max of the panels?

smart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

Solar panel specifications usually have a error margin. To prevent complaints panels are usually rated on the conservative side as people don't tend to mind getting extra.

The other source of difference can be caused by temperature variations and other environmental variation from standard testing. STC (Standard Test Conditions): 1000 W/m2, 25ºC, AM (Air Mass) 1.5

If the temperature is lower than 25ºC the panels will output slightly higher voltage, which is why when specifying panels the temperature range that they will be used in needs to be known.

If you look at the Victron panels datasheet you will see the Temperature coefficient which indicates how much variation to expect as temperatures vary from 25ºC.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daniel-chaffee avatar image daniel-chaffee commented ·

I have more information now. In my array I have 5 panels. There are 3 groups. 2 in series, 2 in series, and one alone. 3 controllers total. On both series arrays on the same day I see the power exceeding 'max' by 13% or so. On the single panel I'm more like 5% below max. I'm in the tropics so the temp is closer to 30C at mid day. It's basically a controlled environment due to them being effectively in the same place at same time. I beleive the single panel. I don't beleive the series output. Also I'm not an expert so I'm generally just curious and slightly confused by this....

0 Likes 0 ·
daniel-chaffee avatar image daniel-chaffee commented ·

Also I have surveyed some other folks around me with similar setups and so far only the series wired folks are seeing this (all using victron). Parallel and single are not seeing power exceeding. We are all in the same geographic location so that variable is ruled out for the folks I asked.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic