question

hiluxhunter avatar image
hiluxhunter asked

VictronConnect Phone App requires GPS on

Been using the App for over 5 years and at start did not require gps to be turned on.

Currently if gps is not turned on my phone just freezers or buffers and does not connect or find the mppts.

Is this the phone app setting that requires gps? or my phones bluetooth setting or how do I turn off the requirement for my location to be known?

I do not have my location turned on for anything other than this app and annoying turning it on just to see what any of my mppt are reading

Thanks in advance

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Hiluxhunter yes its super annoying. The app itself doesn't use location services at all. But it does need to do Bluetooth Scanning. Which in some cases can be used for (crude) method of obtaining location. So, for the app to be able to do that, in some cases Android requires you to permit it to do scanning - which from context of privacy is then worded as location services.

More details in one of the sections of chapter 4.3 here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#android.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hello,

Unfortunately, Android requires VictronConnect to ask for Location Services to be able to scan for Bluetooth Low Energy devices. See also the VictronConnect manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start#android

or, for a more technical background: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/bluetooth/le/BluetoothLeScanner.html#startScan(java.util.List%3Candroid.bluetooth.le.ScanFilter%3E,%20android.bluetooth.le.ScanSettings,%20android.bluetooth.le.ScanCallback)

This is however not something that changed recently in the app. It did change between Android versions and/or brands, so an update of the phone could cause a change in this behavior. There is also different behavior between Android versions and/or brands whether Location Services actually need to be enabled or not.

Whether location services are enabled or not should however not be of any influence on the ability to connect. If this is the case for you, can you perhaps give the type of phone and the Android version you are running? Maybe we can find some information on why this would be needed.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

hiluxhunter avatar image
hiluxhunter answered ·

Thanks for both replies which are most helpfull and explain that Victron them selves are not directly responsible for the request or requirement.

I am using Bluesolar and Smartsolar mppts and the newer built in Blue tooth is disappointing in where I have to be in relation to unit to be able to connect to mppt.

My Bluesolar dongle on pump can be read over 50m away which is handy on the pump as can check it from top of riverbank.

The Smartsolar mppt on house struggles at less than 10m in direct line of sight to connect to the same phone.

Is it possible to use the Bluesolar dongle with Smartsolar mppt to increase the range that can connect to same as older units?

Apart from these 2 issues I love the reliability of Victron in doing the job they where purchased for.

Currently using 6 mppt and will be purchasing another 2 to lastest off grid Property. The pump setup again I will want to be able to check from over 10m away as will be on other side of creek.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Hiluxhunter

The external Bluetooth dongle can be used together with a SmartSolar, but Synchronized charging via VE.Smart networking will not work via the external dongle.

Also, the internal Bluetooth dongle in the SmartSolar will not be disabled, so depending on the range and your position, it is possible that both devices will show up in VictronConnect.

Regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources