question

Jason Beug avatar image
Jason Beug asked

100/20 odd behavior at night?

I have a smart solar 100/20, 400w of panels in series, and 2 100ah agm batteries in series for 24v. Controller seems to charge fine, although I have fealt the absorption cycle always seemed a bit short. As insolation drops off in the evening the charge controller switches from float, back to absorption, and finally to bulk. On most nights the controller stays in bulk all night until it received the first Ray's in the morning. During night time the controller is displaying panel voltage (usually fluctuating at a value near battery voltage,) but displays no current. Is this normal behavior? Or should it switch to "off" mode at night? The reason I ask is because on a whim I recently through in a cheapo amazon 20amp breaker in addition to my cuttoff switch, and I have found if I fiddle with the breaker (not even throw it, just jiggle the throw button) the controller will switch to off. I realise there are couple things going on here, one is obviously that breaker is fairly unreliable if I can jiggle it and get it to effect the system. Basically should my controller be going to "off" at night? Is the 15+ hours a day my controller is spending in bulk mode effecting the absorption time?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi,

You are right, the charger should switch to off mode during the night and the panel voltage should go down to (almost) zero.

If this is not the case, the most obvious cause is that the reverse diode is broken, this causes the battery voltage to remain visible on the panel connectors.

Please check how your disconnect switch and/or circuit breaker work. In case it shorts the panels: these mppt chargers cannot handle the panels being shorted while it is in operation.

If the mppt is indeed broken; see procedure on the support page of our website for how to get it repaired or replaced

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jason Beug avatar image
Jason Beug answered ·

I wasn't very clear before, but the breaker is on the positive battery lead to the charge controller between the battery and the cuttoff switch. Since it has been doing the night time bullk thing since day one, I doubt the breaker caused it. Rather it caused me to seriously reflect on why the controller wasn't switching to off. A bad diode sounds about right, it has never worked exactly right, and I fear my batteries may suffer. I will look into replacing it asap.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ok; sorry to hear that! I expect it will be working smooth soon.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jason Beug avatar image
Jason Beug answered ·

At 9:54 PM.

2 |3000