question

jesseflorig avatar image
jesseflorig asked

Highest W 12V solar panel for MPPT 100/50

I've been having a hard time finding 300+W 12V panels to use with MPPT 100/50. The few 350/400+W panels all seem to be 24/48V. Has anyone had better luck locating such a panel or are there technical limits as to why this might not exist?

EDIT: For reference, I found this Renogy 200W 12V but the spec sheet shows the open circuit voltage as 24V, which I guess I'm not understanding how to look at the spec sheet to determine 12V compatability.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

An MPPT controller can accept a higher voltage and convert it into a lower voltage for battery charging.

In the case of a 100/50, it can accept up to 100v from the solar panels and convert it to your battery voltage.

I would leave a safety margin still and keep it below 90v Voc to allow for temperature variations.

You could happily connect 3 x Renogy RSP200D panels in series to that controller giving you a 72.3v Voc.

If you use the MPPT calculator and input the panel specifications and system voltage, it will let you know if the panels are acceptable.

Most of the 350-400w panels Will have a Voc around 35-50v, so will work fine with that controller and 2 of them could be connected in series or parallel depending on their specifications.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.