question

coastalelectrical avatar image
coastalelectrical asked

Why is my MultiPlus 2 switching off when grid is connected

1. My Multiplus 2 switches off after a few seconds after grid has returned then it keeps on switching off
  2. When it's in inverter mode it works 100% no switching off

I even disconnected all the load and it still does the same

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@coastal.electrical@yahoo.com

Do you have a smart or managed battery on the system?

Sometimes the bms shuts down when there is a change to grid when charging from grid is initiated.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @coastal.electrical@yahoo.com

Do you have a GX device?

That should provide more information about the fault. A very common cause is when the AC wiring is not correct. For example there might be a neutral connection made that is bridged between the AC input and the AC output that bypasses the Multi, so it fails the relay check - this is called Error 8 or Error 11.

Could be other things too, but not easy to say without more information from the system, such as LED light behaviour, VRM alarm record, or GX device notifications.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image Jaco Reinecke Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Titbit ... for the last week and a bit we had the EXACT same problem on a MPII 5kva that was used as a UPS.

Moment utilities are switched on, the inverter switches off.
3 electricians checked over a period of a week and found no AC faults. Nor was there bonding of Input and Output nor bonding of Output and Earth.

The only check that has not been done is the earthing between the house and the street supply box.

As a last-ditch attempt, we enabled the SA grid code (as we are in South Africa) on this MPII 5kva "UPS". That solved the switching off problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers