question

earomi avatar image
earomi asked

Can I connect a generator to the output of the Multi?

I have a system made up of 2 Multiplus 5000/24 connected in series. And I want to connect a generator (75Kv / 220) to charge batteries and supply electricity to the system. An installer has told me that if I connect the generator output cables directly to the 220v output of the Multiplus 5000/24 Master (Taking special care to connect L in L and N in N) the Multiplus 5000/24 Master will automatically recognize the generator input when it is running and will act automatically in less than a second without the need for a changeover installed, working like main surce and battery charger at same time without the need to switch the button "Charger" on third swistch position on Multiplus main panel, Is it true? Personally I think that with this method it can be more practical, but also when connecting it to the 220v Multiplus outlet. when the generator is stopped I can send 220v from the Multiplus to the generator and I do not know the consequences of this.

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
rrroonn avatar image
rrroonn answered ·

I think that you would have smoke in about a second. Bad idea to connect two unsynchronized AC sources.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You have the Multis in series?

The generator output has to be connected to the input of the Multis.

2 |3000

earomi avatar image
earomi answered ·

Thanks for your reply Matthias. Do you understand the Multiplus input as the "220v output" of the Multiplus? An installer has assured me that respecting Phase and Neutral I can connect it there and the Mltiplus recognizes directly if the energy comes from the Inverter or the Generator and makes the change automatically in milliseconds. Is this true?

2 |3000

yann avatar image
yann answered ·

You need to connect the generator to the INPUT of the multi. Ac coupling on output is only possible with a PV inverter that will synchronize itself to the AC provided by the multi. Connecting a generator (wich can't synchronize itself) to the output will result in a short circuit like situation.

2 |3000