question

gnagflow avatar image
gnagflow asked

grounding of victron mppt and battery minus with pv minus

Hello, i bought about 5kW thin film pv modules. On the manual i read, that the minus pole of the modules must be grounded to avoid degration. The pv modules will be connected to a battery with an Victron mppt charger. On the battery are 3x Multiplus2.

Is it a problem to ground the battery minus and thus bypassing the ground through the mppt to the pv modules minus? Is the multiplus system 100% glavanically disconnected to the battery. Are there any risks when grounding the battery minus, maybe concerning the connected devices like venus gx?

How could I ground the pv modules minus?

thank you a lot for your help!!

Grounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello @gnagflow , Victron advises not not do this. The negative input of the MPPT is not isolated from the negative output. Ground currents will be the result. This is explained in the Wiring-Unlimited book of Victron.

Regards, Rob

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gnagflow avatar image gnagflow commented ·

Hi Rob, thank you for your quick answer. I know that the negative input and output of the MPPT is not isolated. But is it not sufficient that the Multiplus is isolated from the battery, or is it not?

thank you Rob!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic